In this article, we will cover the following:
With channels, you can add members, contributors, and owners. To do this, in the left-pane navigation, click the channelsicon to find your list of channels. From there, click on the channel you want to add more members, contributors, and owners to. Learn about the adding options below.
The Channels dashboard is broken up into two different key areas:
- A: Channel options menu: Used for getting a shared link for others on your team or sharing to social media.
- B: Members menu: Used for adding members or teams and setting contributor permissions.
There are three ways you can share a channel to your plan members: adding members directly, setting the channel for company-wide viewing, and sharing a direct link. We will walk you through learning how to do all three in the next section.
In order for a learner's progress to show in channels analytics, learners must join the channel or be added to the channel by the channel owner. To explore more on channels analytics, check out our getting started article on Channels analytics.
- From the Channel page, click the Add Members button on the right side of the page.
- Type the name or email address of the learner you wish to add.
- Set the permission level of can view or can edit (see note on permissions below)
- Click Add members.
- Can view adds them to the channel as a member.
- Can edit sets the new member as a contributor (see Assigning channel contributors and owners, below).
Adding a team to a channel links the channel to the team, so any learner joining or leaving the team is automatically reflected in the channel membership. This saves time for anyone managing the channels on your plan, because adding and removing channel members to and from important channels is done for you.
Note: Only plan administrators and the team manager of the team, can add a team to a channel.
- From within your channel, click Add Members button on the right side of the page.
- Click in the field, and type or find the team you wish to add.
- Set the permission level of can view or can edit
- Click Add members.
Channel owners, channel contributors, the team manager, and plan admins also have the option unlink or remove a team. To do so, click Members in the channel and select unlink or remove for the desired team.
Unlinking a team stops the automatic channel members management associated with the team, going forward. Removing the team unlinks the team and removes all members of the team except those whose role is different from the linked team’s. So if a team was added with Can view permissions and one of the team members is later given Can edit privileges, that team member will not be automatically removed when the team is removed, allowing users to preserve custom changes.
Only plan admins can add plans to a channel. Adding a plan to a channel links the channel to the plan, so any learner joining or leaving the plan is automatically reflected in the channel membership. This saves time for anyone managing the channels on your plan, since adding and removing channel members to and from important channels is done for you.
- Find the channel you wish to add the plan to.
- Click Add Members button on the right side of the page.
- Click in the field, and type or find the plan you wish to add.
- Set the permission level of can view or can edit.
- Click Add members.
Channel owners, channel contributors, and plan admins can unlink or remove a plan from a channel. To unlink or remove a plan, click Members in the channel and, in the drop-down menu next to the plan, select unlink or remove.
Unlinking a plan stops the automatic channel members management associated with the plan, going forward. Removing the plan unlinks the plan and removes all members of the plan except those whose role is different from the linked plan’s. So if the plan was added with Can view permissions and one of the plan members is later given Can edit privileges, that plan member will not be automatically removed when the plan is removed, allowing users to preserve custom changes.
In your organization, you may have certain channels that you want everyone on your business subscription to know about. Here's how to put those channels front and center for your learners: Company channels.
How to set a channel as a company-wide channel as a plan admin:
- As a plan admin or team manager, find the Edit channel option.
- Locate the Privacy level option and choose Company.
- Under Advanced settings, check the Display in employee’s “Company” channels box.
This setting adds the channel to a tab found on the channel index page. If you are on only one plan you'll see "Company" for the tab name. If you are on multiple plans, your company name shows.
Note: If a plan admin or team manager is associated with multiple accounts, they may have multiple Company channels tabs.
Only plan admins and team managers can make a channel appear in the Company channels area. If you're a channel owner but not a plan admin or team manager, you can add a plan admin or team manager to your channel as a contributor then they can add it to company channels. They do not have to be the channel owner to do this for you.
A learner still has to join the channel to be considered a channel member, and for their channel progress to appear in channels analytics. However, company channels appear on all learners' Channels bar, even if they aren't a member of the channel.
Company channels are displayed in the order of last activity, so learners may have channels showing in a different order because of when they last viewed content in the channel.
Copying the direct channel link will let you share the channel to an employee portal or reference document, without adding them to a channel directly.
- Navigate to a channel you wish to share.
- In the channel option menu (three dot icon next to the Add Content button), click the Share option.
- Click Copy Link.
Do you have a team member who wants to highlight a created channel and share it with her peers across the industry? There are also sharing buttons in the Share menu that can help share her channel on LinkedIn, Facebook, or Twitter.
Important: Sending people the channel link does not add them to the channel. When sharing a channel link, learners must click the Join button to join the channel, which allows their progress to appear in channels analytics.
Maybe you created a channel for someone else on your team to build up. Or, maybe someone on your plan started a channel, but now someone else has moved into their role - including being in charge of adding content and members to the channel.
To set a channel contributor or owner
- Go to the Channel page you want to edit a member on.
- Click the grouping of team member avatars on the right-hand side of the page.
- Find the member you wish to change.
- Use the toggle to the right of their name to set the contributor level.
Contributors must be members of the channel. If you need to add someone and make them a contributor, you can do both at the same time. Simply click Add Members, type your learner's name or email address, and select Can edit to set the new member as a contributor.
Tip: A channel always has an owner and never has more than one owner. When changing ownership, the previous owner is downgraded to a contributor.
By default, the channel owner is the person who creates a channel. Click here for more details about roles and access levels in channels.
If you need help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for 24/7 assistance.