Channels analytics lets you monitor your team's progress along each of your company's channels.
In this article, we'll give an overview of the data and report features of basic channels analytics. For users on plans with advanced channels analytics, read about advanced channels analytics after reading this article.
Who can use this?
|+ Available as a plan add-on|
What you can do
Channels analytics gives you a snapshot of your learners' channel usage. These snapshots help you:
- Find your most-viewed channels
- See channels that are currently being watched
- See the total hours of Pluralsight Skills content in each channel
To get started:
- Log in to your Pluralsight Skills account.
- Click Analytics in the left navigation panel.
- Click Channels in the top center panel.
- The channels listing shows you all your channels, according to the filters you have set. Click any of the labels to sort by that field, and click again to toggle between ascending and descending. The data fields include:
- You can search and filter by channel name, objective, or owner. (This does not filter the CSV report.)
- The default display is channels with more than 1 member, which improves page load time. To see all channels, click the >1 member drop-down menu and click All channels.
- You can customize both the web and CSV reports with the Teams filter. The default display is all users on your plan.
- You can download a CSV report of your channel analytics data (discussed below).
What happens when I click on a channel?
- Plans with basic analytics: Clicking into a channel shows the channel description, the overall time duration of the channel, the number of members, and the average completion of the channel.
- Plans with advanced analytics: Clicking into a channel opens advanced channel analytics. This includes all the information included in basic analytics, plus members who’ve viewed the channel, their permission level (view or edit), which team they're on, the date they joined the channel, last activity, and how much they’ve watched in the channel. Read advanced channels analytics to discover more.
You can download a CSV report to view more details about your channel analytics. Learn more about understanding analytics reports.
To download the CSV, click the download icon next to the filter.
The csv report is updated in real-time with all active learners on your plan. The report can help answer questions such as:
- What are my most-watched and most-joined channels?
- Who creates the most channels on my group plan?
- What are all my organization's channels with a "Skilling up" objective?
- Which channels are watched all the way through?
- Which channels don't have much traction?
Data fields include:
- Name of channel
- First name of channel owner
- Last name of channel owner
- Email address of channel owner
- Content duration
- Member count
- Last activity
- Average completion
Which learners are part of this report? Does it show learners that have been removed?
This report shows the learners that are currently on your plan and who are members of the channel. Learners that have been removed won't appear in the report.
What do team managers see in channels analytics?
Team managers see the full list of channels in channels analytics. When a team manager clicks on a channel to view advanced channel analytics, they see the learners on their team that are channel members, as well as their progress—even if they haven't watched any content.
If a team manager clicks on a channel that doesn't have any team members as channel members, the team manager will see the message, "It looks like none of your team members are in this channel."
Is this a real-time report?
Yes, all data is real-time on the channels report.
How do I hide a channel from analytics, or from the company channels view?
Go to Channels, then create or edit a channel.
Use the Include in Analytics checkbox to include or hide the channel from analytics (default is checked).
Use the Display in employee's "Company" channels checkbox to display or hide the channel from the company channels view (default is unchecked).
Note: You must be the channel creator or group plan admin to edit these settings.
Can I choose just a certain date range?
Both the channels analytics page and the channels CSV report download show all-time channels usage.
Do people on my team plan who watch courses on a channel without joining it appear in channels analytics?
No, your learners must be members of the channel to appear in channels analytics and the report download.
Company-wide channels and sharing a link with a learner do not cause your learners to become members of those channels; they must click Join or be added as channel members to have their progress tracked in channels analytics and the channels report download.
When a channel’s share status goes from "private to the business" to "anyone you share the link with," does that channel get removed from the channels analytics?
Yes, the channel will be removed from analytics.
If you change the channel back to "private to the business," the channel will re-appear in channels analytics, and all the viewing data will be restored and visible.
Remember, only channel members' progress will display in channel analytics. Progress from learners on your team plan who aren't in the channel will not display in channel analytics, regardless of whether the channel is "private to the business" or "anyone you share the link with."
You now know the basics of channels analytics. Enterprise users, please explore our advanced channels analytics article.
Get started with basic analytics (Professional and Enterprise)
Get started with advanced analytics (Enterprise only)
If you need help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for 24/7 assistance.