If you use channels in a group plan, you may be the channel owner, a contributor, or a member. In addition, plan admins and team managers have certain privileges in a channel that non-admin channel owners and contributors don't have access to. Let's break it down and see what you can do based on your role.
Who can use this?
As long as they have a Pluralsight Skills license, members, contributors, and owners can view Skills courses that are listed in the channel.
- Channel member: Learner who has joined the channel. There can be multiple channel members.
- Channel contributor: Someone who has joined the channel and has been given certain editing privileges. There can be multiple channel contributors.
- Channel owner: Usually the user who created the channel, unless they transferred ownership to someone else. The owner has the most editing privileges in the channel. There can be only one channel owner.
|Add and remove content||✓||✓|
|Add and remove members**||✓||✓|
|Edit channel name and description||✓||✓|
|Promote others to contributor||✓||✓|
|Transfer channel ownership||✓|
|Change channel privacy settings||✓|
* See Transferring ownership, below.
**See Adding members, below.
If a channel owner leaves the group plan, members will lose access to the channel. To avoid the loss of access, the channel owner should assign a new channel owner by following these steps:
- Add the learner to the channel if they’re not already a member.
- Click on the ••• options menu next to the learner’s name.
- Select the Make owner option. At this point, the old owner is downgraded to a contributor.
If your group plan has had a channel owner leave, causing the loss of a channel, please reach out to email@example.com with details so we can help you.
Any learner can copy and share the channel link with others. Others in the group plan can join the channel once they have the link.
Both the channel owner and channel contributors can add any learner on the group plan to a channel. There are faster ways to add learners that only team managers and plan admins have access to. These are discussed below.
Who can use this?
Plan admins and team managers have certain privileges in a channel that non-admin channel owners and contributors don’t have. Many of these are discussed in Adding channel members, contributors, and owners: leaders.
|Privilege||Team manager||Plan admin|
|Set objective for a channel for which they are a contributor or owner||✓||✓|
|Set a channel to display in Company channels||✓||✓|
|Add a whole team to a channel at once*||✓||✓|
|Add the whole plan to a channel at once||✓|
|Enable Company channels for plan||✓|
* Team managers can only add their own team(s) to a channel.
Note: Plan admins and team managers don’t need a Skills license to create a channel. They can't watch the content without a Skills license, but they can do the following:
- Create a channel
- View channel analytics
- Add or remove content, members, and contributors to the channel
If you need help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for 24/7 assistance.