Note: Code fundamentals is only available for Flow Enterprise Server users.
Code fundamentals shows long-term commit activity trends at the organization and team levels.
Team leads, managers, and executives can compare team metrics to benchmarks and configurable targets. This holistic view shows you the value your team is adding to your organization.
In this article
Code fundamentals metrics
The four Code fundamentals metrics work together to help leaders foster a safe, healthy, and productive engineering culture.
Coding days measures the number of days an engineer commits code in a week.
Use Coding days to ensure your developers spend most days of the week coding. This helps boost morale and support productivity.
Commits per Day shows the average number of commits an engineer makes per active day.
Use Commits per day to gain insights into an engineer’s work habits. Encourage engineers to make small commits frequently. This allows them to test often and take mental breaks.
Impact is a measure of the severity of edits to the codebase compared to repository history.
Efficiency is the percentage of all contributed code that isn’t Rework. Use Efficiency and Impact to see how your team is growing.
Watch for dramatic changes in efficiency and impact. As impact increases, you want efficiency to stay relatively steady.
Learn more about Code fundamentals metrics.
Using Code fundamentals
Use Code fundamentals to view commit activity trends over time.
Team leads, managers, and executives:
- Set targets across four fundamentals metrics to establish KPIs
- View and share your team's workflows and deliverables with stakeholders
- Demonstrate your team’s value
- Build trust in your engineering organization
- These tiles show average Coding Days, Commits per Day, Impact, and Efficiency. Select one of the four fundamentals metrics to view the details in the bar graph.
- The bar graph shows the average for each metric over the period selected in the date range. A trend is only displayed if there are more than four complete Monday to Sunday weeks selected.
Click the Edit metrics dropdown menu at the top right of the report to select which metrics you want to see in Code fundamentals.
Important: Code fundamentals shows commits based on the local time zone of the commit author, not the timezone of the person viewing the report.
If you want to see commits shown based on your timezone, use Work log. Because of this difference between reports, the total number of coding days for a user may appear different between Code fundamentals and Work log.
Viewing a team’s Code fundamentals
Below the Code fundamentals graph is a team-by-team view showing the average for each team. Click into a team to see its nested teams and individual contributors on that team.
- Use the search to find the team whose metrics you want to view.
- Click a team to view other Flow reports and metrics for that team.
- Use the Show rows filter to select the number of rows you want to view.
- Filter teams by metrics and team name. Filter metrics high to low or low to high. Filter teams alphabetically or reverse alphabetically.
Click a team to view that team's Code fundamentals metrics.
Viewing a contributor’s Code fundamentals
View a team’s contributions at the bottom of that team’s Code fundamentals page.
Select a contributor to view their specific Code fundamentals details.
If you need help, please contact Pluralsight Support.