As a learner, you might wonder why your view time is different from the course duration on your history page. Or as an admin or team manager, you might notice a discrepancy between the analytics you can see and the view time data your learners see.
Let’s look at the data available to learners and leaders to see how they work together to show your progress in Skills.
Who can use this?
Data available to learners
On your history page, you can see the following data related to the time you’ve spent on the Skills platform:
- View time refers to the total amount of time you’ve spent watching a course, including rewatching previously viewed clips. View time does not change based on the speed that you watch a video.
- Course progress is the sum of the duration of clips you’ve completed in a course. This does not necessarily represent the amount of time you’ve spent watching a course.
- Duration is the total run time of the course.
- Completion is calculated based on course progress.
Data available to leaders
Depending on your team plan, plan admins and team managers have access to time- and completion-related data in channels, content, roles, subjects, usage, and users analytics. For a full list of these fields, see the glossary in Understanding analytics reports.
Examples of discrepancies
A discrepancy between what a learner and their leader can see may happen in any of these scenarios:
- A learner clicked through the course timeline instead of watching videos. This would result in a course completion percentage that looks like the learner has fully completed the course in content analytics, but the view time would actually be very small.
- A learner watched the course at 2x speed. This would show about half the view time of the total course time.
- A learner watched one or more clips more than once. This would make the view time greater than the course progress.
- A learner watched part of the course on a different team plan—or on a personal subscription—then completed it on the current plan. Only the portion of view time completed on the current plan will be visible to leaders.
If you need help, please email Support (opens email form) for 24/7 assistance.