In this article, you’ll learn how to set up a calendar, create events, and use calendars to visualize events in reports.
Who can use this?
In this article
You need the Manage calendars permission in order to view and create calendars.
Create a calendar
While you're creating calendars, keep in mind the following best practices:
- Teams should only subscribe to one calendar that is visible on the Date filter.
- Try to keep only one Organizational level calendar visible in the Date filter.
To create a calendar:
- Click Settings in the top navigation of Flow.
- In the left navigation under Report Settings, click Calendars.
- Click Add calendar.
- Fill in the following fields:
- Calendar name
- Calendar description
- Calendar type
- Organization: Select this option if your events are applicable to all teams and users.
- Group: Select this option if your events are applicable to only select teams. You must subscribe teams to group calendars.
- Show On: Select where you would like your events to appear.
- Reports: Events will appear directly in your reports
- Date Picker: Use this option to create create custom date ranges or sprint cycles. Events will appear in the Date filter in reports so you can easily navigate to a specific time frame.
- Click Save.
Your calendar is now available in the calendar list on the Calendars page.
Bulk importing calendars
You need the Manage calendars permission to bulk import calendars. To bulk import calendars, first create a CSV file of calendars and events.
To bulk upload calendar events:
- Prepare a CSV file with the following columns:
- Calendar Name
- Event Name
- Start Date/Time
- End Date/Time
- All Day
- From the Calendars page, click Bulk upload (.csv).
- In the modal, choose a file to import.
- Select Overwrite items if found and Add calendars if not found based on how you want the CSV to update your existing data.
- Click Next.
- Confirm your import and click Yes, import.
If no errors were found, you will see a success message.
If errors were found, you will see an error message with a link to view the results of your upload. Click See detailed results to view the fields and rows that need edits.
Your file should look something like this:
Tips and next steps
After creating a new calendar, check the Type and Show on columns on the Calendars page. Organization means the calendar and its events are for the whole organization. Group means they are just for certain teams. The Show on column determines where the events for that calendar are visible either in the Date Picker, on the Reports, Both, or None.
Subscribe teams to calendars to be sure that the events are visible to relevant teams. See Calendar subscriptions for more information.
To add events:
- Click any calendar in your calendar list to view the Calendar details page.
- On the Calendar details page, click Add event.
- Once you have filled out all your event details click Create.
- Click Add event to create more events or click Done.
You can edit your event at any time.
Note: If you create a recurring event, Flow creates an event for each day that it repeats.
Adding Events in the Project Timeline Report
Once you have created a calendar, you can also add events from the Project timeline report.
Tip: The Add event button will only be visible in the report for users with the Manage calendar permission.
To add events in Project timeline:
- Click the Add event button to open the Add event modal.
- Select the calendar name from the drop down menu that you wish to add the event to, then click Next.
- Fill in the details of the event, then click Create.
- On the next screen, review and edit your event or add another event. If you are finished, click Done.
Where will my events appear?
You can see your calendar events in two different places depending on the Calendar Show On setting.
Show On: Reports
If you set your calendar events to show on reports, those events appear in Project timeline.
To make sure your events appear correctly on Project timeline:
- Set the events filter to include the type of calendar events you want to view:
- If your calendar events are under a group calendar, filter by the subscribed team.
Once you have those two filters set appropriately you'll see your events appear as shown below:
Tip: Filter to both organizational and group calendars to see both types of events.
Show On: Date Picker
If you set your calendars to show on the date picker, you can select your events as custom date ranges in reports. This is often used to display custom-configured sprints. Most of these events are associated with a group calendar with specific teams subscribed.
Events associated with a calendar that appear in the Date Picker will appear regardless of what is or is not selected in the Events filter. For any event that is set to show on the Date Picker, ensure you are properly filtered to the correct team, if the events are only assigned to a specific team.
To turn on custom date ranges:
- Click Settings in Flow's top navigation bar.
- In the left navigation under Report settings, click Configurations.
- Scroll to the bottom of the General tab to the Custom Date Ranges section.
- Toggle on Enable custom date ranges and customize your label.
If you choose a group calendar for custom date ranges, make sure to subscribe teams to the calendar.
If you need help, please contact Pluralsight Support.