A sandbox is a secure virtual space where you can experiment, practice, and learn in a risk-free computing environment—such as a terminal or code editor.
Who can use this?
|+ Available as a plan add-on|
Important: Please make sure your allowlist and firewall permissions allow access to Sandbox domains. Find the list of needed allowlisted items in our IP allowlist article.
Sandboxes are included within select, popular video courses throughout the Skills platform. If a sandbox exists, you'll see a Launch Sandbox button on the course details page.
A sandbox is designed to help you:
- Focus on the task at hand without installing anything
- Try a new piece of software without cluttering your local environment
Let’s look at each of the components of the sandbox environment.
- The instructional sidebar tells you what you need to do to complete the sandbox.
- The filetree allows you to interact with the files in your project. In addition to viewing files and directories, you can create new ones, rename them, delete them, and download and duplicate individual files.
- The Show filetree toggle collapses and expands the filetree.
- The Show sidebar toggle collapses and expands the sidebar.
- The work area consists of the code editor, the terminal, and the web browser.
- The code editor allows you to write new code or edit the code that comes in the exercise files.
- The terminal allows you to compile and execute programs, navigate your coding environment, and other functions in a standard command-line interface.
- You can click the refresh icon in the web browser to see your changes.
- The run button allows you to compile and execute your project code.
Note: Each sandbox is unique, and the default view of your sandbox may look different than the one pictured here. You can adjust the layout of the work area sections in the settings menu (see below).
Use the help and settings controls to further customize your sandbox.
- Help provides you with a step-by-step tour of the sandbox.
- Settings lets you customize the interface to your preferences. You can also reset the sandbox environment to its initial state if you want a fresh start.
If you need help, please contact Pluralsight Support.