With our PMP® skill path, we commonly get questions about PMI® and PMP® certification for project managers.
- Which Pluralsight courses count for PMP® PDUs or hours?
- How many PDUs or hours do I need?
- How do I report PDUs or contact hours?
- How do I get a certificate of completion on my PMP® courses?
What about the new PMP® exam?
To prepare for new PMP® exam, based on the PMBOK® Guide 6th Edition please check out the new PMP® path here.
Pluralsight courses designed for the old exam, which was retired March 26, 2018, have the text “This retired course is based on version 5 of the PMBOK® Guide" in the description on their course page.
Which Pluralsight courses count for PMP® PDUs or hours?
Pluralsight's PMP® skill path is comprised of 14 courses that clock in just shy of 40 total hours, and all courses in the path can count towards both contact hours and PDUs for PMI®.
To determine whether or not a Pluralsight course will count towards continuing education PDUs, search or browse for courses here: CCRS | Project Management Institute.
Note: Pluralsight's PMP® courses will also count toward CAPM®'s optional 23 hours of project management education.
PMI® describes PDUs this way: "PDUs stand for Professional Development Units. PDUs are the measuring unit used to quantify your professional development as part of the Continuing Certification Requirements (CCR) program. 1 PDU = 1 hour of learning/activity."
To maintain your PMP® certification, you must earn 60 PDUs every three years. Additionally, credit units are split into 3 categories: Technical, Leadership, and Strategic and Business Management. Courses on Pluralsight are approved based on those categories. Courses cannot be moved or re-classified to count towards other categories. We highly recommend searching the list of courses on the PMI site before taking them with Pluralsight, that way, you will know the amount of PDUs and the category it counts towards.
PMI® describes contact hours as project management education. Before applying for the PMP® certification, you must earn 35 contact hours.
Often, courses or learning activities that count towards PDUs will also count toward contact hours.
I'm preparing to take the PMP® exam and I need to report contact hours
If you are preparing to take the PMP® exam, you will submit your contact hour information in your application with PMI®. Be sure to create an account with PMI® to do this.
The application will ask you to list the Provider (Pluralsight LLC) and the Activity (the name of the course). You will list each individual course that you've viewed with Pluralsight. For more information, visit PMI®'s PMP® webpage here.
I'm a current PMP® and need to report continuing education PDUs
In order to claim PMI® PDUs for continuing education, you first need to ensure you have an account with PMI®. You can create one at www.pmi.org.
- Once you are logged in, navigate to this page to report PDUs.
- Select Course or Training from the menu options.
- Next, you will need to submit each course individually that you've completed viewing on Pluralsight. All you'll need to fill in is the Provider (Pluralsight LLC) and the Activity (the course name).
- The rest of the information on the page should automatically populate for you so you can submit the course.
To renew your PMP® certification, you need to submit 60 PDUs every three years. For more information on how to earn PDUs, take a look at PMI®'s Continuing Certification Requirements (CCR) Handbook (PDF link).
For both new PMP® applicants and renewing PMP® certification holders, PMI® will occasionally conduct random audits of your work experience and/or PDU education. To ensure you can prove that you've viewed PMI®-approved courses from Pluralsight, we provide a Certificate of Completion for each individual PMP® course you view on our site.
To access these certificates, follow these steps:
- Log in to Pluralsight.
- Select the menu option in the top right corner of your screen (it looks like three dots).
- Select History from the menu.
- You will see a list of all the courses you've viewed on the Pluralsight platform, along with the Completion %. To the left of the PMP® course titles you've completed, you will see an award icon.
Click on that icon to retrieve your certificate of completion. You can access the certificate at anytime.